Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Stop!

Matthews 25:40 (NIV) "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'   

My world was shaken and broken yesterday.  I was hustling to get out of the house and on my way so I could open up the shop early.  The shop was going to have me be the pretty face behind the desk for most of the morning until my spouse would show up.  The radio was playing and there wasn't much traffic across town so the ride was good. I was feeling good and just going along not running my mind too hard and fast with clutter.  The last four way stop sign before I turned right was empty of traffic which was unusual for the time of day.  I turned right and started heading toward the railroad tracks up the hill. 
My eyes were scanning the scenery and something caught my eye.  Fifty feet or so from the railroad tracks was a small wheelchair on the side of the road moving slowly toward the tracks.  As I drove closer   and took in the scene, God told me to stop!  What?! Stop? "Lord, Really?"  "Stop!"  Before I knew what I was doing, I was pulled over in front of the man trying to get up the hill.  I looked behind me, rolled down the window and started slowly backing up, until I could see the man through my passenger window.  I started to ask him where he was going, but God pulled me out of my car and send me over to him.  "What Lord?"  I walked over to this man and asked him, "Where are needing to go?"  He said something to me quietly as he was hunched over. So I got close to him,  and quietly asked him again, "Where are you needing to go?"  "To Hartshorne," he said in almost a whisper. 
 "I'm heading to the  shop, I'll find someone to take you there, so come on I'll take you to the shop,"  I said.  
So here I was pushing him over to my car and helping him into my passenger seat, and putting his wheelchair in my backseat.  I told him that I needed to open the shop and would he like a soda.  He quietly said, "Sure, thank-you."   

So here it is.  A big dude pulls over next to a small footless man in a wheelchair,  jumps out of his car parked in a busy street. After a couple of questions hustles this man into his car and drives him less than a hundred feet across the railroad tracks and parks the car in front of a gated building.  This guy then disappears inside comes out with his arms full, locks the building back up and says "Where do you need to go in Harsthorne?"  What would think if you were that man?  

When I went inside God told me, "Take Him to Hartshorne."  
 'What Lord, I've got to be here for the business." 
 "No, you take him to Hartshorne."  
"Okay, Lord I will."  So I grabbed the drinks, and put a note on the door, knowing that in a few minutes people were going to show up to get stuff and I'd be gone. 

I got back in the car and adjusted the Air Conditioning and started a conversation as if this was the most normal thing for me to do in my life.  It was absolutely not, but I surrendered to my Father. 
As we started talking, He gave me his name, and then told me. "Thank-you so much, God Bless you." 
I was embarrassed by  his thanks.  
"No problem as the Lord told me to stop and help you,"  I said.  
"This is what God told me to do,"  

Now you need to understand that my car had less than a quarter of a tank of gas, I was running the Air Conditioner and wasn't sure I had enough to get there and back.  And he was a smoker.  Oh, what is happening here?  I thought. God you are in control.  My thoughts were rambling.

"So how were you going to get to Hartshorne?"  I asked.  
"I was going to wheel myself there if I had to."  he quietly spoke. 
"Well, God told me I was supposed to take you, So where are we going?"  
"I need to see family and my girl friend." He replied. 

Now I'm thinking what in the world are you doing and The Lord gave me peace.  We talked about his loss of feet and other questions that I used to find out more about this man I was taking to Hartshorne.
He was so thank-full and talked about his needing to get his life right with the Lord.  He had been attending church a few months ago, but his rides dried up.  I could only imagine why, but God was using me in a most unusual and powerful way totally without my regard.  I surrendered to this journey and was letting Jesus use me for His purpose.  
We finally got to Hartshorne and turned down some back streets arriving at his girl friends home.  He asked me to knock on her door and have her come to the car.  I got out and walked to the door and knocked. The door opened and a woman stood there with a cigarette in her hand and asked me what I wanted. I told her and she had to get her shoes on and came outside to my car.  They both talked for a few moments about staying in touch and he expressed his love for her and how he was planning to get right with God.  I'm silently watching this unfold and being moved by the situation.  They say good-bye to each other and I got back in the car. 

"Where to now? Back to McAlester?"  I asked. He wanted to go check on his step son that he hadn't seen in over a year.  He continued to thank me and say what a blessing I was.  "I'm just doing what the Lord told me to do."  I replied.  "It's truly not me, it's Jesus."  

We drive around the streets until we come to a home that needed lots of Tender Loving Care. There was no-one there and I was relieved.  He asked me to go to one more place and of course we drove there. 

I had to get out and knock on two more doors until finally his step-son came out and his grand-daughter.  They were in tears. All four of us.  I stepped back and tried to be just a bystander, but they pulled me into their lives.  They thanked me and were so appreciative.  "I'm doing what the Lord asked me to do."  That continued to be my mantra.  "Praise the Lord!"   I was moved.  Finally, it was time to head home, I quickly text-ed my wife to let her know where I was.   

As we drove back, he was moved to tears as he had been away from his sons for over a year because of an untruth spoken to his step-son and family.  What God has put together let no man take apart. I asked him if He needed anything else from me. He needed a ride to the grocery store later that evening.  After I dropped him off, I went back to work and was so thank-ful that the Lord had spoken to me and caused me to Stop!  I turned on my iphone's music and God had the words from "if we are the body,"  by Casting Crowns playing.  Thank-you Lord.  Oh, yes and my car made it back on that small amount of gas left in the tank.

So broken as I was, I rejoiced in the Lord using me in a mighty way. 

After the shop closed, I went to pick him up and we went to get him some food.  I was the driver and he was the gatherer.  He was able to come within $0.30 of his limit on his card.  Once we got him back to his place,  we prayed again, and I asked him what else he needed.  He wanted some clean clothes so he could go to the Doctor.  "I'll get on that."  I left him and went home humbled by my Savior. 

Today, I called a friend who runs a great outreach for the Lord, asking if I could pick up some clothes for my friend.  He of course said. "Yes, come on over and get what you need."   I took them over to him this afternoon and a friend of his was there.  I introduced myself and told her why I stopped.  "God told me to."  

Her words were, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

I thanked the Lord again for His God moment with me and went home.




No comments:

Post a Comment